The Anandamahidol foundation was established by His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand who is deeply concerned about the welfare of his people. His Majesty acknowledges that the Kingdom of Thailand needs academic experts and specialists in highly technical fields. Students who have displayed their love in learning and academic excellence, therefore, should be fully supported and given the opportunity to train themselves in highly specialized subject areas abroad. His Majesty hopes that the graduates will carry the touch and fulfill their duties as academic experts in their home country. This vision was launched and experimented in the form of the “Anandamahidol Scholarship” founded in 1955.
On April 3, 1959, His Majesty has, upon consideration, changed the status of the scholarship to that of a foundation and rename the project “Anandamahidol Foundation.” In this occasion, His Majesty has graciously contributed 20,000 baht from his personal funds to the foundation established in commemoration of his brother, His Majesty King Ananda Mahidol.
Similar to His Royal Highness Prince Mahidol of Songkla, the Royal Father of His Majesty the King, who had studied medical science and greatly contributed his expertise in the medical field to the good of the people and Kingdom of Thailand by granting many scholarships to promising student who wish to study medicine both in Thailand and abroad, His Majesty King Ananda Mahidol shared his father’s interest in the medical field in Thailand as His Majesty had expressed his wish and aspiration in the handing-over of diplomas ceremony to the graduates form the Faculty of Medicine, Siriraj Hospital, in 1946, that the Kingdom of Thailand needs more doctors to help improve the people’s health and wellbeing. This vision originated the establishment of the Faculty of Medicine in Chulalongkorn Hospital. Therefore, at the time when His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej has established the “Anandamahidol Scholarship,” medical students have been the first recipients of those in all the eight academic divisions, wherein seven have been added later on:
- The Medical Science Division
- The Science Division
- The Agricultural Science Division
- The Thammasart Division
- The Arts Division
- The Dentistry Division
- The Veterinary Medicine Division
- The Engineer Division
Objectives of the Anandamahidol Foundation under the Royal Patronage of His Majesty the King of Thailand
- To promote and support higher education by granting scholarships to graduates with bachelor’s degree in Thailand who are outstanding in their academic abilities and moral values to cultivate in the field of studies which will contribute to the enhancement of the Thai academia. The recipients are to pass on their skills and knowledge to the younger generation as well as serve and develop the Kingdom of Thailand.
- To grant scholarships in order to support professional pursuits and research projects for recipients who have graduated, returned to work for their home country and displayed excellent academic skills and high moral values.
- To establish academic and research institutes in order to grant the recipients opportunity to contribute their knowledge and researches to the development of Thailand
- To collaborate with other institutions which share similar objectives in order to promote and enhance the educational development and academic pursuits amongst the people of Thailand.